/spärk/ - noun
- a small fiery particle thrown off from a fire, alight in ashes, or produced by striking together two hard surfaces such as stone or metal.
- a small flash of light produced by a sudden disruptive electrical discharge through the air."there was a spark of light"
As I've spent the past few weeks preparing the Fourth of July Collection in a world that has felt anything but peaceful, I've been a little disheartened. I honestly considered pulling the plug on the whole thing, wondering how we could celebrate when our country has been torn apart by a pandemic and horrific acts of racial injustice. It just didn't feel right.
However, as events have transpired and ideas have culminated within me, I knew that wasn't the right move. That's not what we stand for.
We are the mamas...we don't give up when things are tough.
This Fourth of July looks a little different for LMSS and for our country. We are deeply saddened by the events of injustice that have transpired over the last few weeks, and I think we're all emotionally exhausted from COVID19, too.
But, in true LMSS fashion...we are looking for the light. We are seeing the good. We are looking for the helpers and spreading kindness where we can. We can and always will do that.
We know that like a fiery particle thrown off from a fire, the smallest act of kindness and love can spark a revolution. So that's what we're doing today. We're showing up with a message of love and unification. We're standing together because we're stronger together.
We're putting off the smallest spark, hoping and praying that it adds a little light in this darkness.
At LMSS, we believe that we do not have to earn our basic human rights based on the color of our skin. We believe that all humans should be treated with love and kindness. We stand with the Black community and we want to make this world a better, safer place for them. We understand that we do not fully understand, but still we STAND.
We owe this to the generation we are raising. It is the least we can do. We can teach our children kindness and compassion and understanding and strength by modeling it.
We can continue to be the good and see the good.
We can join with our friends of all colors and fight FOR equality and not against each other.
We can come together as a country, one nation under God, and do what we know is right. It is our prayer that we use this Fourth of July as an opportunity to unite as one, hand in hand, beneath a colorfully lit sky and move forward with strength and conviction.
Here's how we're creating a spark this week:
- A portion of all proceeds from today's launch will be donated to NAACP. Just a little something we can and want to do let our mama friends of color know that we love and support them.
- The LMSS Summer Reading Program will focus on books that teach our children about racism and diversity.
- You'll see even more photos and stories of Black women on Little Mama Shirt Shop's social media channels in the months and years to come.
- We will keep showing up here and doing what (we feel) is right, even when it's not an opinion held by all.
How will you spark change in your community?